Area of expertise
He aha te mea nui o te ao, he tangata, he tangata, he tangata.
Our workplaces are often where we spend a large part of our life. It is important that we look after those within our workplaces. Our team can help with advice on how to ensure your business is not only meeting its minimum legal requirements but is also keeping safe from other employment risks. We focus on understanding employer business to make sure all employment documents reflect the business and its values. We also help employees to be treated fairly in any space.
Employment agreements and workplace policies provide the foundation of any employment relationship. It is crucial that they reflect the values of any business and how they truly operate. We can help shape these documents to fit you and your team, including:
- Drafting employment agreements for employers, including preparing bespoke templates.
- Reviewing existing employment agreements.
- Drafting/revising policy and procedure manuals and documentation, including health and safety matters.
- Advising on minimum requirements and changes to legislative requirements, e.g. leave, KiwiSaver, redundancy.
We are also able to advise on employer best practice and employee entitlements, including as part of restructures, business sale and purchases or other major events. We are expert in advising on how to applyand employment legislation together.
Arrangements with independent contractors can often be confused with employment arrangements. It is important that businesses, contractors and employees all understand the differences and can accurately record these arrangements. We can help you with:
- Drafting contracts for services.
- Advising on existing contracts for services and obligations.
- Disputes involving contractors, including disputes as to whether an arrangement is a valid contract or employment agreement.
Our team understands the practical issues that arise in employment relationships, we have seen the trends and behaviours which lead to these disputes. While we will always look to advise you on how to avoid these, at times they are inevitable. We offer advice to both employers and employees on all workplace disputes. This includes:
- Advice on management of workplace disputes, disciplinary actions and dismissal.
- Performance improvement/management advice, including crafting plans and implementation.
- Preparation of cases before Employment Relations Authority or Court.
- Representation and advice in mediation, for the negotiation of settlements.
- Practical advice on resolving all basic HR issues arising.
We are the leading law firm in advising on the application ofacross the workplace and related disputes.
Our team have experience working within and advising clients on obligations and processes under the Health and Safety Work Act 2015. We have advised clients on internal policies and practice, Worksafe investigations and processes. We have also represented clients on sentencing matters under the Act also.
At times, matters require someone independent to step in and decipher what is happening. As lawyers, we are qualified to act as independent investigators for workplace matters, our team has experience in investigations across a range of business and industries, including Government agencies.
Where appropriate we can take a-based approach to the investigation process and ensure that every step is culturally safe. We can also assist with preparation of Terms of Reference for investigations, or advising employees through an investigation process.