Area of expertise
Select area of expertise
The protection of your assets is vital for your ongoing well-being and peace of mind. Our Asset Planning Team can help you to set up your affairs to best achieve your goals for you and your family.
Asset planning requires a good understanding of your present assets, future intentions, and potential liabilities, to then work alongside other professionals such as accountants, investment brokers and bankers to develop a solution that best suits your individual needs. Our team can help you with:
- Drafting wills.
- Powers of attorney.
- The Protection of Personal and Property Rights Act.
A will remains one of the most important documents you'll ever sign, so it's vital not to treat it as a “tick box” exercise. We have the experience to provide expert guidance on how to get your will right and avoid problems for your family in the future.
Trust law is a dynamic area, with recent case law covering a range of issues including trust-busting, sham trusts, beneficiary rights and rest home claw-back. We offer advice and support on:
- Family trusts.
- Trading trusts.
- Trust resettlements and restructuring.
- Challenges to trusts.
Relationship property structures can be complex and require specialist knowledge to ensure you're protecting what you value. Our team of experts can advise you on the steps you need to take to legally protect your separate property including:
- Drafting and advising on contracting out agreements at the beginning of a relationship.
- Drafting and advising on contracting out agreements during a marriage.
- Management of trust and company property as part of any agreement.
Dealing with a loved one passing away is a difficult and emotional time. We have the skills and expertise to support you through the entire estate administration process including:
- Applying for a grant of probate in the High Court.
- Apply for letters of administration (if there is no will).
- Distributing assets to the beneficiaries.
Like any decision involving property, moving into a retirement village is an important decision which requires the right guidance and advice. Our team of experts will unravel the legal jargon to help you make an informed decision and ease your transition into a retirement village. We can assist you with:
- Independent advice.
- Rights and obligations under the Retirement Villages Act 2003.
- The Retirement Villages Code of Practice 2008.