Area of expertise
Our Dispute Resolution Team provide effective advocacy and support in all disputes, including before various Courts and Tribunals. Our clients benefit from considered advice on the most effective dispute resolution process to meet your needs, backed up by support and advocacy to deliver a practical and cost-effective outcome. Our team of experts have long-standing relationships with senior barristers.
Our Dispute Resolution Team
Litigation through the Courts can take a long time, is often expensive and the outcomes are never guaranteed. For these reasons, our experts encourage, where appropriate, alternative dispute resolution (ADR) processes. Our team, which includes members of the Arbitrators’ and Mediators’ Institute of New Zealand, can help you with:
- Expert determination.
Our team includes members of the Arbitrators’ and Mediators’ Institute of New Zealand, who are qualified to accept appointments as:
- Expert witnesses.
- Experts for binding or non-binding determinations.
Our expertise and knowledge of the construction industry ensures our clients get great advice and support on:
- Leaky building claims.
- Construction contract disputes.
- Preparing/reviewing payment claims and payment schedules.
- Debt recovery.
- Advice in relation to NZS 3910:2013.
- General advice on the Building Act 2004.
- Advising engineers to the contract.
We can also support you with legal advice on:
- Debt recovery.
- Enforcing guarantees.
- Enforcing securities.
- Security priorities.
Our team can support you with clear and easy-to-understand advice on:
- Contract disputes.
- General civil/commercial claims.
- Disputes between shareholders/directors.
- Disputes with other parties.
Disputes over estates and entitlements from trusts are common. We can assist you with:
- Challenging wills under the following Acts:
- Family Protection Act.
- Testamentary Promises Act.
- Property (Relationships) Act.
- Disputes between beneficiaries, trustees and/or executors.
- Administration issues.
We have significant experience in relation to franchises and have assisted franchisees with numerous disputes including:
- Breach of good faith
- Use of marketing funds
- Lease issues
- Territory issues
We offer expert advice and support on:
- Insolvent transaction claims.
- Creditor compromises.
Our team can assist you with insurance disputes including:
- Assessing whether you have a valid claim.
- Assisting in the claims process.
- Your options when you have a claim declined.
- Negotiating with your insurer.
Disputes can arise during the process of buying, selling or renting commercial property, which can adversely affect your business. Our experts can assist you with:
- Disputes about the sale and purchase of land.
- Title disputes including caveats, mortgages and other securities.
- Addressing lease breaches.
- Termination of leases.
- Advising on re-entry and re-leasing.
- Rent review issues.
- Rent recovery and enforcing guarantees.
- PLA notices.
- Body corporate issues.
Our team of experts deal with all types of tort claims including:
- Damage to property.
- Negligent acts causing financial loss.
- Misstatements (such as inadequate advice/services etc).
- Professional negligence claims against professional advisors.
We understand the complex practical and business issues that the farming and agribusiness communities face. Our advice can help you with:
- Disputes about the sale and purchase of farms.
- Share-milking disputes.
- Rural leases.
Our experts can assist you with:
- Breach of trust claims.
- Fiduciary duty claims.
Relationship property issues can be complicated and stressful for all involved. We're here to advise you on your rights and obligations, and to work with you to develop solutions to resolve relationship property disputes, including:
- Drafting and advising on separation agreements.
- Court representation in relationship property proceedings.
- Advice on relationship property entitlements on death.
- Advice on dissolutions of marriage.
- Company and trust property issues arising from a separation.
Our background and expertise across a range of worktypes enables our lawyers to advise, , and individuals in relation to disputes relation to specific matters but also wider governance, inter- and intra- disputes.
We have represented clients before various Courts and Tribunals, including the Court of Appeal and Supreme Court. We also advise clients on alternative dispute resolution mechanisms to achieve the desired outcomes.
We acknowledge the importance to Māori of being able to deal with situations.
We have lawyers who are trained in mediation and arbitration who are available to be appointed as Mediators and Arbitrators in disputes involving Māori land.
We have the skills and experience to provide a wide range of legal services in the following areas:
- Litigation before the Māori Land Court and Māori Appellate Court.